[Towertalk] Coax and Crank-Ups

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Coax and Crank-Ups
From: bravo@iol.ie (John Tait)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 21:33:44 +0100

>   Recent comments warning against cinching coax with
> cable ties, etc., lead me to ask advice about a question
> I have with my crank-up tower.
>   It's a U.S. Tower model, and I have the U.S. Tower
> standoff arms. But I'm wondering if it's best to allow
> the coax to dangle freely through the standoffs or
> attach the coax at each standoff

Hi Mike..
               I gave no great thought to the problem, but I let the coax
hang through the stand-offs.
But first, I hung a stainless steel rope from the rotator cage to ground.
The coax, rotator cables, remote switch control cable etc, are all taped to
this rope "spine".. This means that the weight of all the cables is taken by
the rope. Also the rope acts like a shock absorber in heavy weather, and
protects the cables from flexing, and banging around too much. I've not had
a damaged cable...yet...!!
      73
      John EI7BA  http://www.iol.ie/~bravo/

---