[Towertalk] Coax recommendations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Coax recommendations
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 17:12:56 +0000
I went looking for a new feedline last year and wound up choosing the cable
experts cxp1318fx type of RG8 as a good balance, for legal limit amateur use
on HF at 100 feet or less, between the professional grade lines and the junk
sold in national consumer electronics chains.  It has a foam dialectric 84%
vf, a stranded copper center, foil/braid shield, direct burial jacket, .7 db
loss at 30 mhz/100ft, and if I recall correctly, it handles ~ 2.2 or 2.3 kw
at 30 mhz (so there's some wriggle room).  I'd recommend it for HF at
typical runs of 120 feet or less, as in out the shack, over to and up a 60'
tower. I don't think I would want to use it for a really long run.  Mine is
about 90 feet and I've been satisfied with it so far.  It's about
$0.70/foot; less for > 100'.  I will add (since a little humility never hurt
anyone) that they do a pretty good job attaching UHF connectors if you want
them to which is great for me because I guarantee you, I'm the world's worst
cable connector solderer.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ
k5uj@hotmail.com