[Towertalk] Fence fence go away-

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Fence fence go away-
From: Dinsterdog@aol.com (Dinsterdog@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:26:54 -0400
Ok,

As a follow up on my 4 SR problems since installing a 3000 foot 4 foot high
goat wire fence within 60 feet on the west side of it, I have a question on
making the fence disappear.  Moving it will be tough, but if I ground it, will
it go away as far as the array is concerned?  To RF ground it as far as the
array is concerned,  I was thinking of attaching 66 foot redials to the bottom
of the fence, which is made up of 12 gauge woven wire, and running them out
away from the array.  Has anyone ever attempted to RF ground a fence of this
length?  Does the radial idea make sense?  The array is acting wacko and
everything else that could cause problems has been eliminated.  Symptoms of the
arrays problems include a raised resonant point from it's standard 200KHz to
400KHz, varying power port dump readings from 1% to up to 20% at resonance, and
the individual resonant points of the two closest verticals, which parallel the
array on the west side, dropping from 3.620MHz to 3.577 and 3.543 respectively.
 The two furthest verticals have not been directly effected as far as resonant
and SWR readings. The vertical closest to the fence (66 feet) has the lower SWR
and the other vertical which parallels the fence on the west side (75 feet from
fence) is the other that dropped.   And oh yeah, the F/B sucks- Rather than
moving 600 feet of fence, can anyone suggest a creative solution?  Much
appreciated-

73  Paul  N0AH