[Towertalk] Tower Buidling 201

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tower Buidling 201
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 08:07:10 -0600
Roger,

I politely suggest you do the CALCULATIONS to determine
EXACTLY how much benefit there is in 4 guys vs 3 guys.
At 5 degrees off line, the IN-LINE wire carries 99.6% of the
load.  NOT much help from the side wires IMHO).  (I assume
you do know how to resolve a force vector into orthogonal
equivalents as it is rotated).

Further, I suggest you do the calulations for a 70 ft tower
guyed 3 ways at 50% of the tower height.  I'm sure you will
find that the loads placed on the tower are WELL within
the R25 ratings and the guy wire ratings assuming a
nominal antenna load under 12 sq ft.

There are many thousands of towers that have withstood the
rigors of weather for many decades, all using 3 WAY guying,
testifying to the soundness of this approach.  If 4 way guying
was so much better, then why don't ANY of the BIG tower
designers use it?  I expect that if all the guys in ONE direction
were removed from a guyed tower, the tower would still FALL
DOWN, whether it was guyed in 3 or 4 directions.

BTW, Percentages of wind direction is MEANINGLESS.
Any guying system MUST be capable of supporting the
tower 100% of the time. RUN the NUMBERS.  It's the
RATINGS that count, not the number of directions the
tower is guyed.

Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.