[Towertalk] Need VHF/UHF Antenna Advice

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Need VHF/UHF Antenna Advice
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider (N3RR))
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 09:08:53 -0400
Ed,

Per the W3LPL cable attenuation tables on my website linked from:
http://users.erols.com/n3rr/Cable/index.htm, at 1296 MHz the attenuation of
165 feet of LDF5-50A cable would be 2.5 dB.  At 440 it's 1.3 dB.  Is this
acceptable attenuation?  If so, this cable can be had at hamfests for
$0.50 - $1.00/foot.  In fact, I have a 104 foot roll that I'm selling for
$.50/foot right now.

I'd opt for buying the cable.  It has to be less expensive than a new tower
installation, even if you own the tower - not to mention the lower height of
the new tower.

Bill, N3RR