[Towertalk] Tree Mounts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tree Mounts
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 21:08:36 EDT
In a message dated 9/6/02 5:44:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time, k3bz@arrl.net
writes:

> Maybe it would be good to choose a deep-rooted tree species rather than a
>  shallow-rooted one. A topped tree won't die right away, but the physical
>  shock and the extra load don't do it any good, and a deep-rooted variety
>  will withstand the abuse better.

    Well, I only have experience with the fir trees here in the Pacific NW.
I've never seen a tree die because of being topped but I'm not an arborist.

>  Steve, with your "cross"  I can't quite picture how you mount both
>  horizontal ends AND the vertical pipe to the tree...how long is the
>  horizontal piece?

    Maybe 12 inches. It just provides some resistance to the torque that the
pipe will suffer from the wind/antenna forces. It's just a strap.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH