[Towertalk] Tree Mounts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tree Mounts
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 09:19:17 EDT
thompson@mindspring.com writes:

> Remember trees bend in the wind so caution is advised.  A set of guys about
>  80% up the tree would help.  I did this with a telephone pole.  These don't
>  hold the tree up just lend support.

    I hope this was tongue-in-cheek. Yes, trees move in the wind - they're
supposed to, that's how they shed wind forces.

    If you've topped a tree to put up some sort of yagi on it, you've already
removed much more windloading than the dinky antenna is going to add.

    Trees are pretty danged strong and do not need any kind of guying.

    If your pole moved, it was probably not installed correctly. The other
reason to guy it was just pursuing good old belt-and-suspenders engineering.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH