[Towertalk] screw in anchors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] screw in anchors
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 13:07:54 -0400
Jerry,

A long time ago in a call area not too far from Delaware, I guyed 70 feet
of Rohn 25 to large hardwoods, perhaps 2 feet diameter. I wrapped several
turns of EHS guy cable around the tree and secured with cable clamps. I
used large nails to keep this loop from sliding up the tree. Every year or
two I would loosen up the cable slightly to keep it from growing into the
tree, and from strangling the tree and killing it. The turnbuckles for the
guys attached to the steel guy wires looped around the tree.

Of course now we all know to follow the manufacturers instructions -- or at
least use something stronger.

While it is true if the anchor tree falls it will take down the tower, if
the tree not used as a guy anchor falls, it also will likely take down the
tower if it falls on the guys (unless you have Rohn 55 or bigger).

Recently I took down a 125 foot Rohn 25 tower that had been up about 20
years. Two of the three guys used large trees as anchors. The trees were
about 2.5 to 3 ft diameter, and had a large eye bolt bored through or into
the tree. The tree had grown around the eye bolt in one case and we had to
cut the guy free.

These guys were up 8-12 feet above ground. I don't know how high they were
when the tower was installed.

73/Jon AA1K