[Towertalk] Rebar Cage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Rebar Cage
From: RedHaines@centurytel.net (Red)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 14:49:35 -0500
It is better if rebar members are totally contained in the concrete, to
eliminate paths where the natural alkilinity of the concrete may leach
out, particularly at the bottom of the assembly.  That alkalinity
protects steel from corrosion (however, it attacks aluminum, so don't
put aluminum into concrete).  In addition, the ends should be bent with
a 'rod buster' to improve their grip on the concrete.  The principle
value of the rebar is to hold the concrete against tensile stresses.

73 de Red