[Towertalk] Rebar Cage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Rebar Cage
From: kr7x@attbi.com (kr7x@attbi.com)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 21:31:17 +0000
Hold on now.....

Do not weld the rebar... unless it is ASTM A706 grade or
you preheat the bars to 300 degrees F for #6 and smaller
and 500 degrees F for #7 and larger. This is from the
ANSI/AWS D1.4-98 Structural Welding Code - Reinforcing
Steel. This code in included in all Building Codes in
the US by citation.

Wire up the rebar cage  and set in the hole. Use dobie
blocks at the bottom of hole to space the bars 3" clear
of the soil. Make sure the cage is 3" clear at the sides
also.

Dobie blocks are available at Building supply outlets
all over the US. Use 2x lumber and wire to hold the cage
in place from the top.

Try a search of towertalk using "reinforcing, rebar and
welding of rebar" as a keyword for many postings of mine
and others from the past concerning this subject.

Happy pouring and good luck

Hank Lonberg, S.E.,P.E. / KR7X
Lonberg Design Group