[Towertalk] Service grounds

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Service grounds
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 23:27:31 +0000
>No offense Bill BUT...
>Grounding does you NO good on a line that don't have any surge >suppressor.
>If you go look you will find that the phonelines that comes to your house
>and a lot of others either don't have ANY suppressors or the cables shield
>isn't even tied of into ground.

I'd like to suggest as a precaution, that if you are in a new house (new to
you that is) and you have not put in a perimeter ground, do not assume that
all your service entrances have been grounded because the
power/cable/telephone etc. people supposedly know to do that.  I found that
my breaker panel was "grounded" in my 60 year old house by clamping a strap
from it to a cold water pipe inside my basement about 15 feet away.  I had
to ground it and the entrance outside with a meter bypass to a rod I drove
in.  All the other runs coming in at that point (phone, cable..) had been
tied to the AC entrance--those installers had assumed that it had been
grounded.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ
k5uj@hotmail.com