[Towertalk] Box forSPG and Lightning protectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Box forSPG and Lightning protectors
From: joe@sandysstitches.com (Joe @ Sandy's Stitches)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 00:50:55 -0400
I don't have that luxury either...my shack is on one end of the house
while the power and telco come in the other. Hence the perimeter ground
to tie them together at the power/telco entrance.
The telco is protected at that point also, which I guess you can say
is an SPG for "that" equipment. When referencing an SPG for the shack
the articles are referring to the HAM equipment's SPG.

CATV does come in the shack area and since my Internet service comes over
the CATV line and is connected to my cable modem and computers,
a whole new problem is created. The Ham computer is tied to the other
main computers via a hub and a router on the other side of my office.
This requires a strategy to prevent ground loops between all the radios
and computers, which are on a different circuit, but linked with Cat5.

Any one circuit left out of the overall plan can compromise the entire
system.

I've already been hit once though the power lines and lost my computers,
vcr's, tv's, security system and my wife's electronic sewing machine.
The insurance guy couldn't believe what that machine was worth.

My Ham gear was all connected and off but I didn't lose one piece of that
equipment. Go figure! It was on a different circuit and all grounded.
At the time I didn't have the ham computers connected to the other computers
via cat5. Otherwise I may have lost some of my ham gear.

A whole house protector is next on my list.

Joe -