[Towertalk] Aircraft Cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Aircraft Cable
From: steve@oakcom.com (Steve Maki)
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 01:24:55 -0400
W3YY wrote:

>In a recent post, 'aircraft cable' was mentioned as a 'standard guying
>material'.  Several individuals took exception to this comment, noting that
>EHS is the standard guy cable normally used.  That may be the case, but I
>also got the impression that some might not be familiar with 'aircraft
>cable'.  This is unfortunate, because I think it is really a superior
>material.
>
>Normal galvanized EHS cable consists of 7 individual wires of galvanized
>steel.  the breaking point is 3990lbs for 3/16" cable and 6000lbs for 1/4"
>cable.  The cable is fine, but is relatively stiff and inflexible.
>
>7x19 aircraft control cable consists of 7 individual strands, each consisting
>of 19 individual wires.  It is extremely flexible, almost like rope, and very
>easy to work with.  It's available in both galvanized and stainless steel.
>The breaking point for the galvanized material is 4200lbs for 3/16" and
>7000lbs for 1/4".   If your looking for strong, easy to work with steel guy
>cable, you should seriously consider this cable.

I've seen various breaking strengths quoted for wire rope and aircraft
cable, usually slightly less than EHS, but my main concern with using
galvanized wire rope for guy wires is longevity. Wire rope seems to
rust faster than EHS. It's great as long as you can keep it oiled,
but that's not going to happen when used as guys. The stainless variety
should be fine, except it's not quite as strong, and more expensive.

EHS is easier to cut, and when used with guy grips, really doesn't
present a handling problem.

Steve K8LX