[Towertalk] Re: Virus

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Virus
From: k1ttt@arrl.net (David Robbins)
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 13:15:14 -0400 (EDT)
> I've been getting several messages a week with virus attachments. Most
> "appear" to come from hams, but usually the callsigns used are vacant
> ones. So far my Norton has found and quarantined them, but I never got
> them before about two months ago. Your messages here make me wonder if
> you think there a connection with the towertalk reflector... comments?
> Solutions?  Jerry K3BZ

its most likely the klez virus that you are noticing.  unfortunately
without a detailed examination of the raw headers of the message you can't
really tell where it is coming from.  the klez virus searches through
address books, received and sent messages, and other sources of email
addresses on an infected machine and randomly sends messages out to
addresses it finds... the real kicker is that it also forges the 'from'
address with another randomly selected address.  so it could just be
someone who is reading the list, has visited the list archives on the web
site, or in any way has seen your email address somewhere.  you may also
get random 'undeliverable message' notices coming back from strange
places, these can occur when someone else that is infected with klez sends
a message to a bad address and sticks in your address as the 'from'
address.... this type of action may also get you stuck on more spam lists
if your address is the 'from' address and the virus message gets sent to a
spam generator.

also be warned, klez and some other viruses will send out a message
claiming to be the cure for various infections... this is just a ploy to
get you to manually run the attachment.

now, back to tower discussions???

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net