[Towertalk] Rohn 25G Bracketing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Rohn 25G Bracketing
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 10:54:21 -0500
I was a person who was going to do a bracketed tower.  The "attractive" part
is that Rohn says you can go 30 feet or so above the bracket.  In other
words, you can put up Rohn 25 at pretty low cost w/no guys.  I never
understood the dual bracket thing either.

I even had a spot on the house where I installed the bracket at my roof
peak.  I reinforced everything inside the attic, etc.  Then I began thinking
about working on the tower 30 feet above that bracket.  That's not the most
stable thing!  And I never could find specs on what that 30 feet above thing
related to.  How much wind load?  What wind speed, etc.  I wonder if that
sort of thing is just more suited to throwing up a single, vertical antenna
(such as some commercial user would have) as opposed to a ham station with a
large tribander and possibly other antennas as well.

While you certainly can have 30 feet of unguyed tower above a guy or other
attachment point and safely climb it - it is not the most stable.  We had
two guys on my guyed tower about 25 to 30 feet above the first guy point who
put up everything before we attached the upper guys.  And I worked up at
that point w/o the upper guys as well as I had to redo the guy bracket.  But
this was all only temporary and the tower would move somewhat.  You could
feel it and see it from the ground.

The idea of having antennas and a rotor unguyed and 30 feet above a house
bracket in a windstorm does scare me.  The tower would probably move around
a lot!  That's why I scrapped the house bracket idea and went with a guyed
tower with two guy points.  It is very stable and solid.

I agree with Tom.

73,

Jon
NA9D