[Towertalk] Cracked Leg on Rohn 45G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Cracked Leg on Rohn 45G
From: sm2cew@telia.com (Peter Sundberg)
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 17:28:37 +0000
My old 80 ft tower had this problem, cracks in all three legs from water
freezing, splitting the legs. The cracks were about a foot up from the
bottom of the tower. I welded a "dot" at the upper and lower end of each
crack (the cracks were about 5 inches long) to prevent them from cracking
any further, then drilled a large hole at the bottom of each leg. I never
had a problem after that. The tower stood there for 20 years after I did
the repair. It was eventually taken down and replaced by a rotatable crank
up tower.

73/Peter SM2CEW