[Towertalk] GAO Challenger DX

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] GAO Challenger DX
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 10:37:29 -0700
Interesting comments, Jim.

I don't have a 40m beam, myself, but we do at the contest station (K2XR) and
always maintain some vertical antennas to supplement the beam.

The 2L 40 at 90' works well; however, using a GAP Voyager (ground-mounted,
obviously) or wire slopers off the 140' tower at the site are great "go-to"
antennas that can easily outperform the 2L beam on occasion, depending on
propagation and path.  To use just the beam, always, would be silly.  I find
myself frequently switching to the Voyager or a sloper, to see which works
best for a given DX contact, and use that one to make the call.

Based on my various experiences in winter-months DX contesting from stations
having a mix of antennas, if I had to choose just ONE good 40m system to
stick with forever, I'd use a full-sized vertical like the Voyager for
transmitting, and a couple of Beverages, or a small rotary loop, for
receiving, most of the time.  Only problem with the vertical appears to be
that DX signals are all "S9+" and so is the noise....

WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti