[Towertalk] GAO Challenger DX

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] GAO Challenger DX
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 08:58:58 -0700
Hi John,

Experiment!

However, there's no reason to logically assume that the "counterpoise" you
refer to would work -- since, again (I stated this last time), the three 25'
long radials required by the GAP Challenger are not a counterpoise at all,
they are bottom-loading the antenna to resonance.  Changing their lengths
changes the resonant frequency of the antenna itself.  They're 25' because
that's how much capacitance is required to resonate the antenna, and since
the Challenger has virtually nothing to tune and adjust (main radiator
element lengths are not adjustable with this antenna), you pretty much have
to hit resonance by design.

WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti