[Towertalk] ameritron rcs-8v

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] ameritron rcs-8v
From: charley@net1plus.com (Charley Schwartz)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:08:03 -0400
The RCS-8V uses a control cable as the original poster stated. The RCS-4 uses
the coax between the control box and the remote box and superimposes a rectified
AC signal on the center conductor of the coax.

I believe you have the common misconnected to one of the relays. You should be
able to verify this by connecting an ohm meter between the relay control lines
to the remote box and the coax ground to the box. Verify on the instruction
sheet that the common on the controls is also the common on the coax. (On a
spare box I have the common control line is common to the metal panel/coax
shields). The other lines are several tens of ohms. Note that between relay
control lien to relay control line you will see two relay coils and the control
cable resistance. The resistance will not just double between the relay control
lines and the relay control line to ground.

I have used at least a dozen of these RCS-8V boxes and several RCS-4 boxes
without problem. I would assume it to be a wiring error.

Charley W1TE