[Towertalk] Is there need for a Beverage when using a 4-Square?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Is there need for a Beverage when using a 4-Square?
From: Tõnno Vähk" <tonno.vahk@mail.ee (Tõnno Vähk)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:00:56 +0200
Hi Carsten,

You can do well without it but it would not hurt for sure. I have
320-50-140-230 degrees 4Square and installed a 140 meters long beverage at
90 degrees to east for YB/VK, etc. It helps definitely in times. I am very
amazed with the quietness of it. I thought my 4Square was a quiet antenna -
huge improvement compared to Inverted V but beverage is even more quiet and
due to that I can dig out signals that are not even coming from the right
direction.

But in contest environment I am not sure if having the trouble of installing
4 beverages to the null directions of the 4Square is worth effort as proper
4Square has much better directivity than single beverage...

73
Tonno
ES5TV