[Towertalk] Is there need for a Beverage when using a 4-Square?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Is there need for a Beverage when using a 4-Square?
From: kr1g@hotmail.com (ted demopoulos)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:23:03 +0000
Carsten,

The answer is simple:YES, a beverage is a very good thing to have.
I just did SOSB 80 in CQWW SSB.
I have a 4-square and multiple beverages (most 580 feet long). Usually the
beverages receive better, but not always. The beverages ARE more directive,
and hence sometimes limit QRM more effectively.

I wouldn't have worked XQ6ET (a double mult) without a beverage - it just
reduced the QRM enough from a nearby YV that I could make the QSO. I worked
an ER for a mult that was totally inaudible on the 4SQ, Q2-Q3 on two on my
EU beverages, but perfectly Q5 on my newest EU beverage (which was the one Q
it was good for!!).
There was also a JA at local sunset coming in over EU that I could copy much
better on the beverage (a double mult that I didn't work :( )
Many other examples from last weekend as well.

You can do well without beverages. But I definately did much better with
them,

73
Ted KT1V ex KR1G
PS: Yes, I know CW is MUCH better on 80meters :)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>