[Towertalk] Service drop danger

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Service drop danger
From: clewis@knology.net (Chuck Lewis)
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:39:22 -0600
Dave,

Check out the cost of converting to underground service. I had the same
decision to make several years ago and found that the I could rent a Ditch
Witch and dig the trench myself, thus greatly lowering the cost of the
conversion. Depending on local codes, you might also be allowed to purchase
and lay the conduit, too; leaving only the service entrance hardware swap to
a pro. Around here, the electric utility provides the feeders and does the
final hookup for free. Mine cost $400-500 (to electrician for new service
entrance box and conduit), plus the Ditch Witch rental and my labor (CHEAP).
That was 6-7 years ago, so YMMV. In addition to peace of mind, an added
bonus was extra points with XYL, and increased property resale value. It was
a no-brainer.

Chuck, N4NM