[Towertalk] LPDAs...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] LPDAs...
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:48:22 -0800
The SteppIR is catching on and seems to have a loyal following, so it's a
success.

However, here are the LPDA advantages that I find, as a user:

-No moving parts to wear out or fail
-Maintains excellent F/B over its entire range of frequencies
-Zero time required to change bands, not even a second
-More bang for the buck, e.g., lower cost for equivalent performance
-VSWR satisfactory everywhere, over the >1 octave range

Drawbacks to the LPDA?  Wind loading and turning radius, for sure, as back
end elements are huge, typically >0.6-wavelength or longer for the lowest
frequency.  And the booms are hot, so must be well insulated from its
support.  And, for a given boomlength, not as much gain as a single-band
Yagi, for sure.  Then, trapped multiband antennas don't, either...nor does
the SteppIR, since it's optimum spaced for only one band.  The SteppIR can
obviously be adjusted to make a beam pattern over an octave or more, and to
create a good match to its feedline, by infinitely varying all the element
length combinations; but it will never be optimized on more than one band
because of the fixed element spacing.

Can't comment on SteppIR wind/WX survivability, etc, since I don't think any
have been up long enough yet.  In a few years, we'll know more on that one!

-WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti