[Towertalk] Loop Gain (was LPA designs)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Loop Gain (was LPA designs)
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 08:49:47 -0500
At 07:56 AM 11/16/02 -0600, n4kg@juno.com wrote:
>The longer the boom of a Quad, the less the additional
>gain versus a Yagi of the same number of elements.
>This is because stacked Long Boom antennas require
>greater spacing to realize the full stacking gain improvement.

If the gain of a square loop over a dipole at its mean height is .84 dBI,
then it's hard to imagine that the gain of a quad is much more than that,
over a yagi at the same mean height.  I wonder what happens if the quad has
diamond elements instead.

I believe it's also a mistake to think that "the full stacking gain" is
ever 3 dB, as is theoretically the case in free space.  All the modeling
I've done suggests this is just never true.  I presume this is because the
presence of the ground causes the two antennas each to behave differently
than if they were in free space, and differently from each other.  True?

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower