[Towertalk] tower joint Conductivity ???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] tower joint Conductivity ???
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:05:40 -0800
Interesting subject.

I'm sure this varies a great deal, but I measured the resistance from the
top to the bottom of 70' of R25 that had been up for a couple of years, and
it was very high.  (Measurement made by attaching #12 insulated copper wire
to the top plate of the tower, running that wire to the bottom of the tower,
and measuring the resistance from "top" to "bottom," assuming that 70' of
#12AWG pure copper is zero.  It's not zero, but it's damned close.)  In that
case, I measured more than 20 Ohms through the tower.  Banging hard on the
guy wires could change it very slightly, but not as much as I thought it
would.

I don't think I'd want 20 Ohms in series with my 50 Ohm antenna, but that's
just me!

-WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti