[Towertalk] Climbing Masts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Climbing Masts
From: n9en@voyager.net (N9EN@VOYAGER.NET)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:49:07 -0600
Hello all...

All I can say is thet you people have more guts that I do.
Now that I'm 51+ years old, I don't climb ladder masts
any longer, unless they are guyed to suitable guy anchors,
using 3/16" EHS guy wire, forged turnbuckles and Big-
Grips.

In the case of IIX-type ladder masts, I do not want to
have my life depending on the tensile strength of 2" OD x
1/4" wall steel tubing. So I guy the ladder masts before I
do ANY climbing on them.

I am not "knocking" any of you guys that climb masts
without them being guyed. I just don't feel like taking any
extra chances with my life that I have to. Maybe that's a
sign of old age and if so, then so be it!

73 de Brad, N9EN @ Radio Free Roscoe (IL) [tm]