[Towertalk] Lighting Protection and Roof Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Lighting Protection and Roof Towers
From: jhisson1@columbus.rr.com (Jason Hissong)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:18:42 -0500
>> You want to keep the voltage potential between the top of your tower and
the
> earth to be a minimal as possible.  Sometimes, it doesn't matter how good
> your grounding system is and you will still take a strike.  But you lessen
> your chances which is half the battle.

What about the antenna itself?  The tower will be grounded like crazy, the
antenna is only "half-grounded" with the shield being grounded.  The rotor
cable will of course be grounded as well.

Thank goodness it is winter as I can do this in smaller chunks with little
or no chance of lightning for the next couple of months.

Thanks

Jason