[TowerTalk] Interference Problem (long)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Interference Problem (long)
From: kb7ww@easystreet.com (Arthur Moe)
Date: Fri Jan 31 21:58:31 2003

Dave Hachadorian wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:59:28 -0600 "N9EN@VOYAGER.NET" <n9en@voyager.net>
> writes:
>
> > The noise is always present. It doesn't matter what the
> > weather is, whether windy, rainy, snowing or clear.
>
> This could be an important clue. Whenever I've encountered
> this type of 24/7 interference, it has turned out to be
> a defective lightning arrestor on a power pole. These are
> extremely noisy sources, and can cause interference over
> a radius of a mile or two. You need to go mobile to find
> the general vicinity of the source. For starters, try tuning
> your AM car radio to an unused frequency, such as 1720, and
> drive around. A 2 meter rig in AM mode is even better.

I have also been down this road twice from the same source.  The pole
that these ar on is 450 feet from my tower and then they go bad I have
S9 + noise on all bands through 2 meters. The first one went about 2
years ago and the second about 6 months ago. The first time around it took
me about an hour to find the pole causing the problem. Called the local
power company took three weeks to fix it but in the end I got the phone
number to the guy who does the work. Once I got his number it took
only three days to get a crew out.  The second time I called him direct and
told him what was happening and the next morning there was a crew there
fixing it.  So my advice is try to find the person who really does the
checking and writes the repair order. If you can locate the Pole give him
the pole number.

Art
KB7WW