[Towertalk] 100M-long boom Yagi for 20M -- correction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 100M-long boom Yagi for 20M -- correction
From: shr@ricc.net (W0UN--John Brosnahan)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:31:56 -0600

>Yes, and 21+ dB (including ground reflection) is hard to come by any other
>way.  I was thinking more in terms of a contester making the choice
>between, say, 16 dBi from a long-boom yagi versus  the same gain from a
>stack.  The stack would not only have a wider azimuth beamwidth but also a
>wider elevation beamwidth.  Whether this extra width is "useful" is much
>harder to test, or to prove...

Pete, I don't think you can have it both ways.  If they are the same gain
and one has a wider
azimuth beam width it must have a narrower elevation beam width.  That gain
(power) has
to come from somewhere and if it gets spread over a wider azimuth the only
place it
can come from is from the elevation beam width.  All assuming that side
lobe performance
is good enough to make any energy in the side lobes to be relatively
insignificant.

--John  W0UN