[Towertalk] 100M-long boom Yagi for 20M

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 100M-long boom Yagi for 20M
From: W1JR@arrl.net (Joe Reisert)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:33:09 -0500
Gene,

According to Brian Beezley, K6STI, this long Yagi antenna was designed and
optimized with his YO (Yagi Optimizer) software. In fact, the program has
the "W6TSW" antenna in the demonstration file. I took a quick look and
wasn't too impressed with the poor (16.59 dB) front to back ratio and the
high (14 dB down) side lobes at about +/-40 degrees from the main beam.
Also, the pattern rapidly deteriorated off the design frequency.

Next, from California, Europe only subtends a very narrow azimuth angle
(compared to the East Coast) so the narrow half power beam width is
probably acceptable from W6-land,

I have built some VHF designs that can be scaled to 20 meters that will
match the beamwidth and meet or exceed that gain on a shorter boom with a
much cleaner, broadband pattern and match directly to 50 Ohms!

That being said, it sure was a novel idea and a way to configure a long HF
Yagi.

73,

Joe, W1JR