[TowerTalk] Rohn SSV specs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn SSV specs
From: km1r@cshore.com (Michael J.Castellano)
Date: Sat Feb 15 11:35:02 2003
Bryan... been in the toower business for about 30+ years.

The SSV is for one or the other...  We use a LOT of SSV, but one must remember,
it is very expensive to buy, and does not have that much of wind load capacity.
 The main advantage is that it is used in tight spots , like city buildings,
where a guyed tower is no good.

You would be better off (about 1/3 the cost) to go with the R-55, and you can
put a lot more loading on it.

Of course, if you cannot have a guyed tower, an SSV is a great option.

figure out what load you are planning... and go from there... And dont skip on
the concrete base and anchor footings.  use steel rebar as specified by the
manufacturer (Rohn in the case of 55).

when in doubt, get on this reflector, there are a lot of us burnt out tower
jocks sitting at our computers and letting the young guys do the climbing!!!!!!!

as always, stay safe, stay happy, and of course... 73!

Mike KM1R