[TowerTalk] Rohn SSV specs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn SSV specs
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Sun Feb 16 00:38:58 2003
The Rohn SSV is not designed for a stack of big amateur beams unless you use
just the 3 or 4 bottm pieces.  There are some less expensive options such as
the AN Towers (towertalk major sponsor), The Trylon series sold by K7LXC),
and the new Rohn series.  I talked to the Rohn Rep in Atlanta and he said
hams could buy this new tower directly from Rohn (I seem to remember this is
the CSS series).  In any case they are on the Rohn web page.

Its hard to have a tall tower on a 1/2 acre lot that is guyed even if you
use less than 80% for guys.   This makes these self supporting towers very
attractive especially to XYL's and eliminates the problem with breaking the
guys when using the tower as a vertical or eliminating intermod that occurs
when you have many antennas (as I have) scattered over my lot.  They are
less than 1/2 the cost of the 89 foot crank ups too.

I found that to be safe and you have room to add one set of guys about 1/2
to 3/4 of the way up just to stablize the tower.  I fouund a study done by
the oil exploration division on using one set of stablizing guys on tall
telephone poles and assume this hold for any of the self supporting towers.
The study used what was called "Glas Line so kevlar would be even better.
Vesto used stabilizing guys on their big windmill towers at airports.  The
100 foot Vesto with such guys survived at Kesler Air Force Base (Mississippi
Gulf Coast) with winds clocked at 205MPH from Hurricane Camille in 1969.
The tower stood but the antennas were long gone!

73 Dave K4JRB