[TowerTalk] Paul Bunyan Whip

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Paul Bunyan Whip
From: richard@karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Tue Feb 25 00:53:25 2003
> Has anyone constructed this type of tower using aluminum?
> I am concerned
> that using aluminum might result in too much flex but it
> would certainly be
> easier to construct and erect on site.  I do not intend to
> install a yagi,
> only a pulley to haul wire antennas up and down so the
> windloading should be
> minimal.
>
> Jan Rehler, W5KNZ, Corpus Christi, Texas

1.  Making a mast self supporting with only its own
windloading is nontrivial, so the fact that you
are only supporting a wire doesn't help you all
that much.

2.  An aluminum self supporting pipe mast would be
prohibitively expensive.  You can now buy a crankup
portable mast for >$1000, but you have to crank it
down when not in use.

3.  AFAIK, aluminum irrigation tubing is all thinwall,
less than .1 inch.  You can make a tripod type
self supporting wire support out of this stuff by
copying the KLM SSV design by K6KBE.

4.  You can of course simply put up a straight mast
made of thinwall irrigation tubing with a bunch of
ropes to guy it.  This is documented on my web site
for a 90 foot design.

5.  I have been using a 60 foot design (MUCH simpler
than 90 feet) consisting of 3 inch irrigation tubing
to experiment with wire antennas for the last 6 months.
It tilts up and down in 5 minutes.  I have tried a
whole bunch of experimental designs.  Note that instead
of pulleys, I tilt the whole mast.  Far more versatile.
May or may not be compatible with your QTH; I have lots
of room to lay it down.

Hope that helps.

Rick Karlquist    N6RK
richard@karlquist.com