[TowerTalk] Tower Bases

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Bases
From: spelunk.sueno@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Thu Feb 27 12:17:56 2003
Tim:

     It seems to me (I haven't done the math) that you'd be better off
taking the time and trouble to dig the deeper hole and pour concrete in a
cubish form, rather than use long, cross-type footers to support a tower.
Here's why.

     If you constructed the cross and fixed the tower to its center, any
upturning moment (the wind trying to push the tower over) would exert a
significant force at ground level.  This in turn would be absorbed by the
cross-concrete almost exclusively.  There is, in your proposed design,
insufficient earth (dirt) surrounding the concrete to aid this resisting
force.  This is the main reason that SS towers with appropriately designed
foundations don't fall over - the dirt helps keep it upright.

     So the forces that are trying to turn the tower over are taken up by
the concrete.  However, the <long lever> effect applies also to the concrete
<levers> that form the cross.  The wind force will essentially break the
concrete cross(es) at the point they attach to the center.  And the longer
you make these cross arms, the more the lever effect will concentrate the
force on the center attachment point of the downwind cross arm.

     I've recounted on this forum previously about my experiences with
constructing towers in Haiti.  These folks are resourceful enough to dig the
SS towers' foundation holes (four per tower, one per leg!), and not have
problems with cave-ins.  (Although I believe they used machinery to dig the
holes.)  To get your proposed solution to work, one would have to provide
considerable reinforcing bar and increased concrete tensile strength (I
haven't done the math, as I said).  The extra co$t of this approach seems
not worth the trouble.  If absolutely necessary not to dig, one might be
able to design a concrete cube, as others here have suggested, to sit on the
top of the dirt.  But this concrete structure would indeed have to be
massive.  (At some point the laws of economics supercede the laws of
physics.)

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F