[TowerTalk] OT: Location Location?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] OT: Location Location?
From: nielsen@oz.net (Bob Nielsen)
Date: Sat Apr 5 20:40:05 2003
On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:44:15PM -0500, BobK8IA@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 4/5/2003 4:51:10 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> w8aef@worldnet.att.net writes:
>

> > In Phoenix, Arizona you have to stay away from the newer (after 1980)
> > subdivisions.  You either have to get right down town (in the older area)
> > or
> > out in the country.  Even in some parts of rural Arizona you have to be
> > careful.
> >
> > In 1995/6 we were looking and made a few purchase offers with "subject to
> > buyers approval of CC&R's, if any" as a contingency.  Got us out of 2 deals
> > without any problems and really upset the sellers in both cases.
> >
> > I found that it helps if you do not fall in love with the place you are
> > looking at.  Kinda hard to do if a significant other is involved but that
> > is
> > where I am really fortunate in having the support of my wife.
> >
> > de Paul, W8AEF
> >

> Paul is pretty accurate. I just moved to the Phoenix area in October and an
> extensive search began the previous May (May 2002). I enlisted the help of an
> agent who my son trusted (my son works for a title agency) and who was a good
> friend of my son as well.
>
> My instructions to him were simple "I am interested in a home having XXX
> features in a $YYY to $ZZZ price range on a lot at least an acre. AND it must
> NOT have a HOA or any restrictive CCR's and be in a community that permits at
> least a 70' tower." (My concession, considering the cities around Phoenix, ny
> present ham needs etc).
>
> That agent busted his butt. After screening 54 homes with me and tying
> himself to me for many days, I finally found this place about 35 miles east
> of downtown Phoenix. Not fancy, just fine for 2 people in the twilight yrs
> that enjoy some seclusion, yet like to ride our motorcycles and me to ham a
> bit. Its an acre with backyard surrounded by a 6' block wall and closest
> neighbor about 300' away prefect. ;-) The city has a ham tower ordinance,
> 75',  but I found it very workable. Easy. My tower is up and I am happy with
> no muss or fuss re HOA idiots or restrictive CCR's. People are pretty much
> live and let live here in rural metro Phoenix, and I like that!
>
> Dont take the condemnation of agents as universal. Find one who really cares
> about your interest and work with him/her. Give him/her time to help you
> (i.e.dont give him instructions like mine and then say  "I need to move in a
> month"). Mine took 5 months and all is well!
>
> Oh, Geo, one other thing. I dont think there's any room for another ham in
> this neighborhood. <grin>
>
> 73,Bob K8IA
> far eastern Mesa, Arizona USA
> near the Superstition Mtns

When I moved to Arizona in 1984, I was quite surprised at how
restrictive the CC&Rs were in an unincorporated area outside of Tucson.
I couldn't find any newer developments that didn't have outright
prohibitions. It sure didn't seem like the "old west" spirit to me.
One area of 3.3 acre parcels didn't allow antennas, but specifically
allowed any number or types of animals.  I told the real estate agent
that if I bought there (I didn't) I might consider giving up radio and
raise hogs instead.  The neighbors would have really loved that.  I
suspect all states have the same problem and the developers use some
sort of boiler-plate verbage which their lawyers created.

I went the stealth route, but when I moved to Washington in 2000, I
made sure I found a site without restrictions.  Fortunately the city
regulations here are fairly benign, as well (they asked a local ham to
help write the ordinance).

73,
Bob N7XY

--