[TowerTalk] Concrete "Slump"

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Concrete "Slump"
From: tombaugh@discoverynet.com (tombaugh)
Date: Thu May 29 14:51:01 2003
Clarification,

Most of these comments are good however.
A vibrator in the hands of an overzealous HAM may actually be bad.
(All inuendo aside) Over vibrating concrete causes the heavy materials
(ROCK) to settle and the light material (AIR) to rise.
Air in the concrete is not a bad thing, in fact many times air is
intentionally introduced using admixtures. Rock on the other hand is
important in the strength of the mix. Rock provides the largest surface area
for Portand Cement (the GLUE in concrete) to adhere to. If all the rock is
at the bottom the strength of the top area of the pad will be relatively
weaker.

The cost of 3500 pound or even 4000 Pound mix is not significant in the
large scheme (guessing $1 / yd). The pour is a relatively small and the
price will be proportionately small. We pour 4000 pound concrete almost
exclusively. YES it is overkill! However, the tradeoff is in workability.
Stronger concrete has more of the expensive stuff.. the glue.. the Portland
Cement and that is what makes the mixure "creamy" and easy to work. Too much
water can "appear" to give these properties but good concrete is good
concrete. Add water and increase slump (good description below). but good
concrete (4000 pound mix) will have a good slump (lower number) because it
has more GLUE.

Good Luck..

Tom Baugh
AE9B