[Top] [All Lists]

[TowerTalk] Tower Surveying Tools?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Surveying Tools?
From: (Chris BONDE)
Date: Mon Jun 9 01:23:33 2003
At 01:25 PM 2003-06-08 -0700, you wrote:
>Wondering what everyone is using out there as the "Poor Man's" Transit?
>Installing several towers and wondering what's being used to verify Guy
>anchors are 120 degrees from each other from the base point.

I am not sure what you are asking but I think that what you want is to have 
three peg around the base of the tower equidistance apart.

Take a rope about 20fr or so long, put a stake in both end, say a large 
spike.  Push one into the gound in the centre of the tower,  (Say arenot 
most towers with three verticals have the 3 verticals 120 degrees 
apart?)  With the other end ot the rope spike draw a circle around the 
tower, ie using the rope as a compasses.  When the circle is drawnuse the 
rope as the radius maker and make 6 marks around the circumference that you 
have just drawn.  That is push the one spike into the circle drawn, pull 
the rope tight, then make a mark on the circle on one sie of the peg then 
one on the othe side of the peg.  Push the peg in at one of those marks and 
make more marks.  You should have 6 marks on the circels circumference all 
equidistance apart.  If you join each one you will have a hexagon, if you 
join every second one you will have an equilateral triangle.  The triangle 
should give you what you want.

Chris opr VE7HCB 

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>