[TowerTalk] Ring Rotor Location Advice

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ring Rotor Location Advice
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Wed Jun 11 16:34:02 2003
I gather that you have other antennas with a conventional rotator also
on the top of that tower...

If so - of course you want separation from them to minimize interaction...

I would try and get the Ring Rotor just above the guys - the twisting of
the tower that the starting and stopping of the RR as well as wind
effect needs to be minimized - the guys will help contain those forces
so if the locations are near each other this is good!

As far as climbing around one of the beasts - this is a royal pain... if
you are using three guys at that location (as opposed to double guying)
you cannot take the short cut around the ring which is to climb the
corner of the tower as opposed to the face (a trick taught me by W3AU,
RIP) - getting your leg up and over the guy is not done until you are
well past it which is tough o do if t the same time you have to deal
with the RR!

Your question is an excellent one - having climbed around a RR for years
it IS a pain...

If you have other business at the top of the tower, like another
conventional rotator and yagis to tend to make sure that the height of
the ring is not so close to the top that standing on the flat rung above
it results in your being too high to do the work on the other stuff!

73,

Jim, K4OJ