[TowerTalk] US Towers and wind Loading Capacity

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Towers and wind Loading Capacity
From: mikehatzakis@yahoo.com (Michael Hatzakis, Jr)
Date: Thu Jun 19 14:09:28 2003

Ok, mathemeticians and engineers out theree.. I need some help

    Have an MA-550 55' tower.  I have a little over 7 sqr feet of antenna.  A
Steppir (6sqr ft), a 40m D40 cushcraft dipole (1sqr ft) and a 2/440 verticle
(<0.25sqr fet).

   The The wind load capacity of the MA-550 at 50mph is a little more than 10
sqr feet of antenna and at 80mph it is around 6sqr feet.  This is based on the
antenna being around foot or so above the top of the tower.  If I use their
20ft reinforced steel mast and put the 3 element Steppir at 10 feet above the
top of the tower and the D40 at the top, at 20 feet above.  What does that do
to it's wind loading capacity?

Michael

Michael Hatzakis, Jr MD
Physiatrist, Treating Individuals with Neuromuscular Disabilities
Consultant, Information Technology Based Health Care Solutions