[TowerTalk] US Towers and wind Loading Capacity

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Towers and wind Loading Capacity
From: mikehatzakis@yahoo.com (Michael Hatzakis, Jr)
Date: Fri Jun 20 11:10:23 2003
Curious how you arrived at a 25lb wind load.  I'll clarify the situation,
MA-550 55' (base):

Steppir            6 sqr ft   10' + base
D40 Dipole      1 sqr ft    20' + base
Verticle+Mast  1 sqr ft

does this still come up to 25lb?   I think a tribander beam is pretty
customarily between 5- 7 sqr feet of wind load, depending on the shape of
traps, poles etc.  The dipole is pretty low wind area.

Michael

K4IA@aol.com wrote:
I am confused.  The rotor and mast are a 25 pound wind load?

That seems like a lot -- it is more than a big antenna.  How can that be?  I
would have thought the mast and rotor would be minimal wind load.  I am
planning one of these for myself.  What am I missing?

Radio K4IA
Craig "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA
FISTS # 6702 CC 788 Diamond 64

Michael Hatzakis, Jr MD
Physiatrist, Treating Individuals with Neuromuscular Disabilities
Consultant, Information Technology Based Health Care Solutions