[TowerTalk] Advice requested

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Advice requested
From: jimlux@earthlink.net (Jim Lux)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:37:47 2003
The usual TV antenna type mast has guy wires (because that 1.5" thinwall
tubing just isn't all that strong).  I assume though that bringing up the
enhanced safety aspect of guy wires isn't appropriate (if only because that
would imply that what they already said you could have is somehow "unsafe")

If the mast is painted appropriately, a casual observer at the street
probably couldn't tell the difference between a 1 1/2"-2" mast (TV antenna)
and a 4" mast, unless there is something else to give scale.  A little bit
of diameter gives you a LOT of additional stiffness.  You can also go with
a stepped approach, with a much larger diameter closer to the ground (where
nobody can see it).

As a visual experiment, you might try temporarily erecting 30 feet of 2x4
painted white (or heck, 30 feet of PVC pipe, if the day is relatively windless)

Any sort of non-loaded element for 20m is going to be on the order of 10m
long (i.e. 30 feet!)  This might look a bit weird (30 foot wide antenna on
a 30 foot high pole).  You're already in a compromise situation, so maybe
something with a loaded (i.e. physically short compared to half wavelength)
element might be worth looking into.  At least you'll be up in the air,
which helps a whole lot, particularly with takeoff angle.