[TowerTalk] Using Screwdriver Antenna as a Base Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Using Screwdriver Antenna as a Base Antenna
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Sun Jun 22 10:16:05 2003
At 1:50 PM -0700 6/21/03, K wrote:
>...been thinking about mounting another Screwdriver
>antenna on top of my 10x20 foot and 9 ft high metal
>top garage in the middle.  I was wondering how well it
>might work 80-10m without any other radials?

1. Make a short, fat, low-inductance connection between the shield of
the coaxial feedline and the metal of the garage roof at the
feedpoint of the antenna.  (Otherwise too much current will flow on
the outside of your coax.  This happens in automobile/van/truck
installations, too.)

2. Bond, electrically, well, all the seams of the metal of the garage
roof.  (Otherwise, nonlinear conduction will generate harmonics and
intermod products.)

3. Mainly for 80 m, and if your soil conductivity is good, maybe drop
some fat conductors from the corners or edges of the roof to 8-ft.
ground rods.

If you do #1 and #2, it should work very well.

-Chuck, W1HIS