[TowerTalk] Using Screwdriver Antenna as a Base Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Using Screwdriver Antenna as a Base Antenna
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Sun Jun 22 10:36:28 2003
At 2:15 PM -0700 6/21/03, Jim Lux wrote:
>It will work better than it does on your car, but not as well as, say, a
>dipole.  It is, after all, physically short, with a loading coil. The
>radiation resistance is quite low....

Jim's comments are valid, and important.  I regret that I did not
qualify my reply to your question by making the same points.

A short, low, vertical antenna will never work as well as a
horizontal dipole at a reasonable height, or even as low as the top
of the vertical antenna.

very big problem on 80 m and a big problem on 40 m, but not bad on 20
m and higher.  The Q of a screwdriver antenna coil is sub-optimal.
(A short fat coil would have much higher Q.)

Loss in your impedance-matching network or transformer will also be a
problem on the lowest-freq. bands.  Again, a _very_ big problem on 80
m and a big problem on 40 m, but not bad on 20 m and higher.

All of the above applies to vehicle-mounted antennas, too -- not just
to your proposed garage-roof-mounted antenna.  All else equal, your
proposed garage-roof mounting will work better than vehicle-mounting.

-Chuck, W1HIS