[TowerTalk] Common-mode current on feedline

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Common-mode current on feedline
From: howk2@hotmail.com (Howard Klein)
Date: Wed Jun 25 23:54:40 2003

----Original Message Follows----
From: Chuck Counselman <ccc@space.mit.edu>
To: k2hk@arrl.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Common-mode current on feedline
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:42:56 -0400

>How do you have your tuner 70 ft away from your shack? Is it remotely
>tuned?

Then I was able to find one _fixed_ setting of the tuner for which the SWR
on the coax (and therefore the loss) was tolerably low across _all_ HF bands
80 through 10 meters, except 30 meters where I don't transmit much power
anyway.  Since then I've left the tuner fixed. Now QSYing is much faster.  I
intend some day to write up and publish my method for finding such a magic
setting.  I've found them for various line lengths, different tuners,
different baluns, etc.; but have not yet found a general (never-fail)
solution.  However, I believe that there's hope.

73 de Chuck, W1HIS

This is becoming even more interesting !! I am looking forward to seeing
your method. I wonder if it would apply to a shunt fed tower. Substituting a
fixed value for a variable capacitor for example. I hope we hear some more
of this.
73, de Howard..K2HK