[TowerTalk] Common-mode current on feedline

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Common-mode current on feedline
From: nx7u@arrl.net (Scott Townley)
Date: Thu Jun 26 00:01:32 2003
Good stuff Chuck.
One very important thing to remember is that the common-mode current "sees"
a transmission line of unknown impedance.  One conductor is the outside
surface of the coaxial line, and the "other" surface (could be multiple) is
whatever conductor is nearby...side of a house, fence, earth surface, etc.
So you can get all sorts of interesting impedance transformation
issues.  For example, the "common" common-mode choke consisting of ferrite
beads surrounding the outer conductor of a coaxial line would "like" to see
a short circuit "behind" it...so that you have a large-ish series impedance
followed by a shunt short circuit...maximum rejection of signal.  If the
coax is grounded/bonded 1/2 wavelength from the choke position, that will
do the trick...at that frequency (and all multiples).  But at a frequency
where the grounded coax shield point is 1/4 wavelength away from the choke
point...the choke is much less useful.  I have personally measured this
effect using a setup similar to yours.
Back in my DoD days when doing wideband HF engineering/testing, we would
always bond the coaxial shields to ground (where we could) at least every
1/10wl (at the highest frequency of interest) between exciter and
antenna.  This kept the common-mode impedance low and greatly aided the
effectiveness of common-mode chokes used.
Unfortunately I have never done a CM/DM measurement like you did; actually
30dB sounds pretty reasonable to me at HF, but I have no basis for that
conclusion.