[TowerTalk] Trylon software

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Trylon software
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu Jun 26 14:16:19 2003
At 12:03 PM 6/26/03 -0400, EUGENE SMAR wrote:
>TT:
>
>      I found an interesting piece of software on the Trylon Titan web page:
>http://www.trylon.com/lightdutytowers/selfsupporttwrs_size_towercalc.asp  .
>It's the program Trylon use to determine whether a selected tower will be
>adequate for a combination of proposed antenna loads.  You'll need to input
>the antennas' wind area and other parameters regarding the physical
>arrangement on the mast.
>
>      I suggest you read the instructions and thoroughly understand them (and
>the caveats) before you apply them to a proposed configuration of TRYLON
>TITAN TOWERS (emphasis intended.)  If nothing else, you can see the effect
>of increasing antenna mounting height on the reactions at each section of
>tower.
>
>73 de
>Gene Smar  AD3F
>P.S.  Don't forget to include the wind area and weight of your mast.

And K7NV would be disappointed if I didn't also caution to be careful that
the antenna wind area figures you use are calculated on the same basis as
the numbers that Trylon uses to rate its towers.  Combining apples and
oranges can result in trying to put as much as 1.5 times the rated amount
of antenna area on the tower.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 17 June 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm