[TowerTalk] lightning suppression on cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] lightning suppression on cable
From: jimlux@earthlink.net (Jim Lux)
Date: Thu Jul 10 12:44:19 2003
Didn't the cable company provide an appropriate lightning/overvoltage
protection device?  One would be required for the installation if it was
done according the NEC.   It will look like a little aluminum block with a
F connector on each side and a lug on the side that connects to the
uninterrupted wire to the ground rod/UFER/etc.

And, it would probably be on the cable company side of the "line of
demarcation", so it's on their nickle.

As a practical matter, these things are basically a coaxial feedthrough
with a suitably chosen gap that will breakdown at the right
voltage.  They're inherently a fairly broadband device (DC -> 2 GHz).

You can also get them at, e.g. Radio Shack, for Satellite TV installations
(since they have to send DC and control signals up the coax, and 1GHz back
down from the LNB)