[TowerTalk] lightning suppression on cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] lightning suppression on cable
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Thu Jul 10 14:04:50 2003
This brings up an interesting question, Jim. The gas
tube ground blocks I mentioned are basically the same
thing with a gas tube used in addition or in place of
the air-gap. Since the aggregate RF voltage swing on
a cable drop is pretty low, I wonder how much additional
protection is really afforded by the gas tube? IOW, how
do the breakdown and clamping voltages compare
between a simple air-gap and the gas tube.

At 40 volts/mil or whatever air gives, it may be a
manufucturing issue to get the breakdown voltage on
the ground blocks down to the level of a gas tube
(CATV ground blocks are really low-cost devices).

73 de Mike, W4EF..........