[TowerTalk] Re: [ct-user] Antenna Stacking Question?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [ct-user] Antenna Stacking Question?
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Tue Jul 15 21:18:16 2003
I have a three stack of 204BA's...

I use coiled coax as per WA2SRQ's calculations years ago...

The coaxes are equal in length and are continuous from the feed point to
the base of the tower... they have the split end at the driven element
and run all the way to the ground where they plug into a WX0B stackmatch.

Why did I go this route?

Because I hate doing un-needed maintenance - there are NO connectors in
the air to fail... the Stackmatch at ground level is inside another box
to shield it from the rain...

This system has been in use for years now and NO failures, ever.  The
only thing the system needs is an occasional re-orientation of the
middle yagi in its sidemounted rotor due to some slippage... that is it!
  The booms have been reinforced at the element attachment points and
even though they do not need it they all are trussed with a philystran
guy - it will be interesting to see how many years they last without
needing maintenance, a cycle?

The bottom yagi is pointed at Europe, except on weekends when there is a
domestic contest when it is spun towards Dayton....

The 204BA is not a super performer but combines a short boom (which
makes sidemounting easier) and a readily available source of pieces and
parts should they be needed... all three were bought off the internet
and refurbished with stainless hardware throughout.  The cost of the
three was just about equal to the cost of one new antenna at the time.

Overheard from the 20 meter operator during a multi-multi last year "I
rule 20 meters" - guess they are still working ok :-)

73,

Jim, K4OJ