[TowerTalk] Antenna Stacking Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Stacking Question
From: k3lr@k3lr.com (Tim Duffy K3LR)
Date: Wed Jul 16 17:55:00 2003
Hello Tod!

The beads I use do not fit over RG8.

I use teflon double shielded cable that is either 50 or 75 ohm. This cable has
the outside diameter close to RG58 and is capable of handling the legal limit
with a engineered safety factor for mismatched loads. The exact cable is
detailed in the article.

As you point out, bead heating leads to several problems that occur in other
designs which I concluded were not acceptable for my application.

One must also take into account the length of cable introduced by these chokes
when using them in stack designs. Depending upon the stack criteria, I use even
or odd quarter wave feed line lengths to the main switch. This choice depends on
factors such as grounding unused antennas and other in phase/out of phase
combination choices.

Critical control of the design parameters and physical installation lessens the
chance of stack disappointment after everything is installed.

The W0IYH choke stayed at room temperature (its choking capacity was unchanged)
during heavy contest use tests and during 100% duty cycle tests in the lab.

73,
Tim K3LR